Five men arrested for masterminding an attack on Rwanda’s Musanze District that claimed the lives of 14 people have said that they were recruited to join the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), a rebel group based in DR Congo, through Uganda.
The suspects, who were paraded before the media on Sunday, said they were part of 45 attackers who carried out the attack on the area that neighbours DR Congo.
“I personally joined the FDLR in March last year through Uganda where I was recruited by a person who promised me a job in gold mines in DR Congo. While in DR Congo I found myself in the FDLR. I was then given a three months training,” Emmanuel Hakizimana, 27, told journalists.
Hakizimana added that their Friday attack was coordinated by one Major Gavana.
“Our commander had told us that the main mission was to liberate Rwanda. We had a briefing to shoot and kill security people and park rangers for us to penetrate easily,” he said.
Theoneste Habumukiza, another suspect, said he was recruited into FDLR at a time he was pursuing his master’s degree at Makerere University in Uganda.
“I was approached by a wealthy person who encouraged me to join the FDLR, saying that when they capture the country they would reward me with a well-paying job and other incentives,” he said.
They said they specifically belong to RUD Urunana a faction of FDLR that has allied with Rwanda National Congress (RNC) to form an outfit called ‘P5’.
Police said they coordinated with other security organs to capture the assailants in an operation that left 19 assailants killed and five captured. Police said in a statement the hunt of those involved in the attack goes on assuring that security had been restored where the incident took place.
Meanwhile, the 14 residents who were killed by assailants were on Sunday laid to rest in a ceremony that attended by thousands of mourners. The burial of the 14 victims took place at their matrimonial homes in Musanze, Kinigi and Nyange sectors.